8.10.2012

Pizza Sauce the Right Way

Making your own pizza sauce is a little time consuming but the more you make it the better and faster it gets. I had been thinking about making my own sauce for a really long time and I just didn't know where to begin. I have used both canned and fresh and I prefer the fresh. I figure if your going through the trouble you might as well make it as fresh as you can. In the Winter would be the only time I would use canned tomatoes.



Ingredients:

10 large tomatoes
2 garlic gloves, minced
1/2 cup yellow onion, minced
1 tbsp. oregano
1 tbsp. basil
1 tsp. thyme
1-3 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp. vinegar
salt and pepper to taste

Directions: Bring to boil a pot of water. Cut an X in the tomatoes and drop them into the water. When the skin cracks they are done. Transfer to an ice bath and cool. Remove skin and seeds from inside. chop the tomatoes. In a pan saute onions and garlic in olive oil. Add tomatoes and herbs. Simmer on low-med for 20 minutes. The longer the simmer the more moisture is removed. If you like it liquidy instead of chunky you can use an immersion blender or puree it in a blender. I prefer the immersion blender. At the end add the sugar. Go really slow with this and taste it, you don't want it to be too sweet. Then add a splash of vinegar and that's it.So good you will never turn back I promise!
Pin It!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails